Sunday, March 8, 2009

Technology and Communication

Technology runs our lives. If someone can't get a hold of you for an entire day they would probably call the cops for fear that you were dead. There is new technology being created all the time that allows us to communicate, and even keep track of each other. But when is it going to be enough. Even today there are more ways of communication then I can count. You can communicate via text messages, cell phones, home phones, voicemail, email, blogs, vlogs, fax, facebook, myspace, pagers, and I can't forget plurk! Not to mention the multiple devices you can use to do all these things! And those are only the ones I can name. In a day alone i spend 1-2 hours emailing people, posting blogs, and checking my facebook. It's becoming unhealthy, an addiction. I'm starting to feel like we all soon will become just like the people on WALL-E, with interactive televisions permanently strapped to our face, never moving unless pushed by a robot to move you out of the line of traffic. Is that really what we are destined to become?

The question was proposed in class, "Is it better that we have so many means of communication?" Even with the issue of Americas growing obesity aside, I personally think the answer is no. Although having more than one means of communication is nice. I feel like a kid who is lost in the woods when I don't have my cell phone on me, and being able to send an email to a friend who is far away rather then writing a letter, which you then have to rely on the postal service to deliver, something I try to avoid, is definitely a plus. But why do we need so many means of communication in the first place. All this does is allow easier access for people to stalk you by. By having more means of communication that allows for more ways for people to get your information, and therefore leads to more ways for them to know everything that goes on in your life, and where you are at all times. They even have chips that they can implant under your skin and follow you that way, like tracking us by our cell phones isn't enough. On the one hand if you get kidnapped it would be nice for them to have a way to find you, but on the other its a way for anyone that knows the "code" to know where you are. I would just like us to stick with what we have and just make it better because if technology continues to expand at this rate Ill need a utility belt for all my devises, and may be permanently placed in front of my computer. So please, lets try not to make this WALL-E world a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment